Have a great day - eat something healthy.

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Myth of Whole Paycheck

This is in no way an advertisement for Whole Foods Market; you can purchase your cleansing supplies wherever you wish. But I’ve noticed in previous cleanses that people have shied away from Whole Foods, primarily because they’ve heard it referred to as “Whole Paycheck.”

Like most people these days, I watch my budget quite closely. So I've done comparisons between Whole Foods and other grocery stores in my area. And I was really surprised and pleased to learn that "Whole Paycheck" is simply a misnomer.

For basic stock-up stuff, Whole Foods' 365-brand products are really competitive and are often organic when others aren't. So I get my tofu, soy milk, beans (canned and dried), quinoa, brown rice, and rice crackers there all the time. Even my favorite cleanse splurge, Amy's Rice Crust Spinach Pizza, costs a few dollars less than anywhere else.

And don't assume that the produce at Whole Foods is more expensive than at other stores. It's a fact that other grocers jack up their prices on organic produce - way above those of Whole Foods.

So don't shun Whole Foods just because of a perceived truth - when you look at it a little more closely, the real story is quite different!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you on Whole Foods. Every time I do the cleanse WF is my go-to store. It has everything I need so I don't need to go anywhere else and the cost is about the same...in some cases less.
    Good luck with the cleanse!! I have lost count on how many of these cleanses I've done and each time I get more excited to do it.
    Peace,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wouldn't be the same without you, Kathleen! Glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to do some rethinking about Whole Foods...I got really angry at them when a small container of prepared chicken salad went from 4 dollars to 9 dollars overnight. Left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. But I have proven to myself that the basics are competitively priced, the selection is beyond compare, and for the most part the people there are extremely friendly and helpful.

    Happy Cleansing to all! Had my new homemade granola for BKF with soymilk...yum!

    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jeannie! Your breakfast sounds wonderful! And you're right - you can't beat WF for all your stock-up stuff. So glad you're here! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to be back. This start much easier than the last cleanse. Have pretty much stayed away from sugar caffiene and animal products. I'm looking at how I can not get stuck in doing and eating only the the things that are easy. I eat well but not very exciting and I need to raise the bar on my excercise and stay with it. I'm in the 1946 class of baby boomers so this is a big year for me. Just want to do more and see more and yes possibly be of more service to others.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Trish! Glad to hear you're making the transition so smoothly this time, but it sure helps when you're already off the caffeine, sugar and animal products, doesn't it? And you're in luck - I just posted 35 new recipes so you're bound to find some things to get you out of your food rut. And as for exercise, each year we've gotta work harder to keep ourselves in shape, so give it what you've got, Girl! Love your attitude and I'm glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete