Have a great day - eat something healthy.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Engage the Cage - Abs 101

I hate doing abs. Laying down and exercising don’t really mix in my opinion (and if you think sex is a workout, thank you, Sting, for reading my blog). Ab work is the only case where exertion and repose meet in the middle - literally.

But for as much as I hate doing abs, I love the results. I'm stronger, my posture is better, my clothes fit better, and I feel fierce. So I’m committing to hitting the floor 3 times a week. Depending on the workout, I’ll do anywhere from 180 to 350 reps each session.

I don’t think there’s one ab workout that’s better than others – the key is making a plan and committing to it. This article, The Truth About Toning Your Abs has some great advice to keep in mind while concentrating on your midsection. And here's a great page from Muscles For Women that has a solid ab workout plan if you don't have one of your own. 

The good news is an ab workout takes a maximum of 15 minutes – mine are usually a little shorter than that.  If I don’t have time to do a full weight or cardio workout in the morning, I’ll bang out my abs right away in the morning. If I can get my abs done I’ll be more motivated to do the rest of my workout later in the day.

This week I’ve only done abs 2 times so far but I can already feel them beginning to firm up. That’s the beauty of the belly – it’s so responsive to everything we do! And guess what? After today I’m done for the week!

Just remember - the only way to show that six-pack is strip away the fat, so be sure to keep burning calories with cardio and weight-bearing work.

Hey! No one said this was going to be easy. But the results will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment