Have a great day - eat something healthy.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-ch Changes

Woo hoo! You made it through Day 1! Quite often, it's taking the first step that's the hardest thing to do, but you did it! Congratulations!

Since it's New Year's, this is the perfect time to consider habits you'd like to break or changes you'd like to make in your life. And this 21-day period is a great time to do it. It's been said that it takes 21 days to break a habit; 21 days to learn a new own. While you're cleansing you’re going to be very mindful of what you’re eating and drinking – why not be mindful of some other aspects of your life too?

During past cleanses I've added some healthy patterns to my life that are still with me today, like drinking at least 64 ounces of water a day, skin brushing, making sure I take off my makeup and floss every night, and daily journaling. During one cleanse I even stopped playing Spider Solitaire – a habit that’s as hard to break as quitting crack cold turkey. During another I started studying Italian – I admit I've fallen off that wagon but that's because I'm revisiting French for an upcoming trip.

This time around I'm going to try to get up early enough to get my workout in before I go to work - not easy to do during these dark winter mornings when I'd rather stay curled up under the covers! I'm also going to try to get in at least 1/2 hour of French study each day. I think that's enough of a challenge for now.

What do you want to change? Maybe it’s taking 20 minutes a day to read quietly. Or doing a few sun salutations every day. Or taking a pastels or pole dancing class. Whatever your choice, take this time to do something wonderful, just for YOU!

How's everyone doing today?

6 comments:

  1. I started the cleanse by cleaning out my closet. I took a bunch of things to Goodwill and plan to make one more trip there before the cleanse is over. My other goal during the cleanse is to lift weights 3 times a week.
    Day one done. How is everyone doing?
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody take a lesson from Kathleen! When she decides to do something she commits all the way! And almost every time we cleanse she cleanses her closet. Here's to a woman who knows how to travel light - in every way! And good luck with the weights - I'm planning on doing the same! Let's keep each other honest! Thanks for checking in, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well other than dealing with a migraine headache (not totally due to the cleansing as I woke up with it Monday morning--maybe my body knew what was ahead?) I am doing very well. It feels really good to put so much thought and planning into what I put into my body. I spent most of Monday afternoon at not one but two grocery stores reading labels and stocking up. My commitment is to attend yoga class 5 times a week--and I will start journaling again--something I haven't done in ages, but know it is so good to do! Thanks for the suggestion Ivy!
    By the way had an awesome gluten free pasta dinner last night and I love the Amy's Bistro Burger--just had it for lunch with veggies and mustard, pickles and hoseradish--so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome update, Sue! I'm sorry you've got a migraine to contend with - having never had one, I can only imagine the pain. But you sound as if you're doing really well! I love that you're so committed to this and that you're putting in the time to research labels and find foods that will work for you. And I'm so glad you've been enjoying the foods you've had so far! Yoga 5 days a week sounds like Heaven - you're going to be a noodle (gluten-free, of course) in three weeks' time! And journaling is such a great thing - for your creativity, for your sanity, for your soul - so congrats on getting started with that. You're doing great, Sue! Thanks for checking in. And here's hoping you kick that headache ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is decaf coffee okay to have once in awhile?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Sue - Technically, there is caffeine in decaf coffee so I avoid it while I'm cleansing. I'd try to rip off the Band-Aid, so to speak, and go without it during the cleanse.

    ReplyDelete