Have a great day - eat something healthy.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Fitness Goal - Shape Up to Ship Out

May 9th, 2010 - My 50th Birthday
On April 2nd I’ll be heading to Tahiti and Bora Bora for a 7-day cruise. This morning I figured out that that’s 66 days from today! As I look out at our gray-and-white Minnesota winterscape it’s hard to imagine the Technicolor paradise that awaits me on the other side of the world. And it’s hard to imagine myself impersonating the poolside-posing Bain de Soleil chick when I’m sitting here in two pairs of socks, baggy jeans, a turtleneck and an oversized shawl to keep me warm. But it’s going to be a reality sooner than later. And I’ve got some work to do. There’s no way I’m sportin’ moo-moos when I’m in French Polynesia – this is a bikini trip if ever there was one! So I’m setting some goals for myself today:

1.) Lose 5 pounds.
2.) Get more defined abs.
3.) Develop more muscle tone.
4.) Rock that cute bikini I bought last summer.

Okay, now that I’ve got the goals set, I need an action plan to reach them.

1.) Set a daily calorie limit, record the foods I eat every day, and cut out booze (except on Fridays).
2.) Do at least 20 minutes of interval cardio training six days a week.
3.) Do weight training and ab work every other day (3 days a week).
4.) Weigh myself at least once a week (every Tuesday morning).
5.) Model the bikini at least once a week, being sure to check the rear view (every Tuesday morning sounds like a good plan).

Setting goals and monitoring your progress is the best way to hit your mark. And the more specific your goal, the better. Instead of saying you want to lose a few pounds, give your goal a number. Say, “I want to lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks.” That way you have something you can measure and a way to monitor your progress. If things aren’t going the way you want, you can rework your action plan to ensure success. When you set specific goals, you to take responsibility for your results. And when you take responsibility, you take control.

Last year I decided to whip myself into shape before my 50th birthday. I promised myself that no matter whether I succeeded or failed, I'd put on a string bikini and wear it in public. Talk about motivation! I worked out six days a week and watched what I ate. And on the day I turned 50, I donned the bikini and wore it poolside at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

There's no reason I can't do it again this year. So this morning I hit the Livestrong website to figure out my caloric needs to lose a pound a week. Then I figured out my eating plan. And then I set my alarm clock early enough so I’ll be able to get my workout done before I head to work. I’ve got about 8 weeks to pull it together and with an action plan like this, I know my goal of rockin’ a bikini in April is attainable.

April’s just around the corner. And summer’s not far behind. Now’s the perfect time to set your diet and fitness goals, kick them into gear, and get ready to show off some skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment