Have a great day - eat something healthy.

Friday, December 17, 2010

That's How We Roll - Cleanse-friendly Sushi

My dinner last night.
So many people who consider cleansing or going vegetarian or vegan say that they’d have a hard time giving up sushi. I couldn’t agree more.

My husband and I love sushi so much that we took a sushi-making class so we could make it at home. And after I went vegetarian I knew that sushi would most likely be the food to lead me astray. I was so afraid of the temptation that I stayed away from sushi restaurants for over a year. And when I finally went back, I was pretty sure that the overwhelming desire to order my old favorites would bring an end to my vegetarian life. But then I saw the vegetarian part of the menu. And I found so many incredible flavors there that I didn’t feel like I was missing out on anything.

I started wondering if I could add sushi to my cleansing menu. The first question was whether or not it was gluten-free. All of the research I've done shows that it is. Then the challenge was to overcome the recipe - it calls for sugar. I decided to try agave nectar as a substitute. And after a few tries I came up with the right amount to create the perfect taste and consistency (click here for recipe). In fact, it’s so good I’m going to make it this way from now on.

I like to combine avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, carrot and cucumber for a great vegetarian Mexican roll. For a rich, savory flavor I love spinach, avocado, mushrooms and tofu. And squash or pumpkin with mushrooms and sesame seeds is sweet and crunchy. The possibilities are endless and if you’re up for experimenting, sushi is a great way to expand your cooking repertoire.

So today’s great news is that we can have sushi while we’re cleansing! Just remember to use tamari instead of soy sauce (there’s gluten in soy). After that the sky’s the limit!

Have a great Day 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment