Have a great day - eat something healthy.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Day 20 - Why We Do It

For centuries shamans have been going into the wilderness on vision quests. And now that we've got only two more days to go I'm starting to see some visions of my own - pizza napoletana, crusty bread and manchego, and a snappy red zinfandel, to name a few. 

But the truth is, after I've finished cleansing I approach food with more awareness and care than I did before I started. And each time I walk away with a little more wisdom that helps me make better choices about food during my non-cleansing life.

Cleansing is an ongoing learning process with cumulative results. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back - there's always room for improvement. I can buy more organic foods and seek out more local suppliers, I can experiment with more recipes and raw foods, I can drink more water and incorporate more good habits into my life. And all of that seems more easily accomplished during the cleansing process, probably due to the added discipline that we require of ourselves during that time. So I look forward to cleansing, not only for the physical benefits, but for the chance to improve other aspects of my life at the same time.

During this cleanse I was more social than I've been before. And it felt natural and easy to be alcohol-free in social settings and everything-else-free in restaurants and at parties. I also committed to waking up at 5:00 every morning to work out and put this blog together. So I added some new positive behaviors to my daily routine; at the same time, I simply enjoyed feeling alert and aware and healthy. What could be better than that?!

How about you? For the first-timers, is this a one-time deal for you? Or will you do it again? What would you do differently if you did it again? And for the veteran cleansers - why do you keep coming back? How does the experience change for you each time? Let's hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment