Have a great day - eat something healthy.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Pistachio (or Pumpkin Seed) Crusted Tofu with Truffle Cream Sauce

Pumpkin Seed Crusted Tofu with Truffle Cream Sauce



I just wrote about being blown away by the food at Blossom in Manhattan. And when I find resaturant food that really excites me, nothing makes me happier than duplicating it at home. After savoring the pistachio crusted tofu (the most delicious tofu entree I'd ever eaten) at Blossom, I had to try to make it in my own kitchen. 

I don't really play around with tofu that much - certainly not enough to have any real confidence about how to turn a flavorless block of goo into a sophisticated, praiseworthy entree. And non-dairy cream sauces (the Blossom dish was finished with a savory vegan truffle creme) often seem like thick, chewy, oafish imitations of the "real thing." But a bit of research led me to a few recipes that, with a bit of tweaking, have resulted in an impressive imitation of the Blossom inspiration dish. In fact, I'd be proud to serve this to even the most stubborn of carnivorous foodies. And the great thing is, this flavorful, satisfying dish doesn't take much effort or time - how's that for a bonus?!!!

If you decide to try making this, here are a couple of things to consider:
1.) Be sure to use unsalted pistachios. I looked everywhere but couldn't find any shelled pistachios that weren't salted. So, I bought the shelled unsalted kind and took the shells off myself. Trust me, that eats up some time. On top of that, pistachios are fairly expensive. So, while they have a lovely flavor and texture, a great alternative is unsalted pumpkin seeds. They're mellow, earthy, have a great crunch, come shelled, and cost far less than the pistachios. I think pumpkin seeds are an easy alternative that will save you time and money.

2.) The truffle cream sauce requires 2 hours of soaking time for the cashews and pinenuts, so bear that in mind while you're putting this dish together. Also, the recipe says to add water to get the sauce the the consistency you desire - don't be shy. It takes a while to get this sauce to a nice, creamy consistency.

Alright, now that we've gotten the particulars out of the way, click on these links to get to the recipes for Pistachio (or Pumpkin Seed) Crusted Tofu and Truffle Cream Sauce. I hope you enjoy them as much as Mark and I do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment