Have a great day - eat something healthy.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Easy, E2-friendly Vegan Pad Thai

After failing dismally with another Pad Thai recipe a few weeks ago I was hesitant to try again. But I knew I had to give it another go if I wanted to enjoy a healthy version of one of my favorite dining-out dishes at home. So I got back in the kitchen with another recipe. And, for the most part, Mark and I agree that it's a keeper. I’ve modified it to eliminate sugar, and to use broiled tofu instead of the uncooked kind called for in the original recipe (I think it has a nicer texture that way). And next time I make it I’ll use 1/3 cup of lime juice instead of the ½ cup that’s called for in the original recipe. Also, instead of adding the noodles earlier in the process, I cooked all the sauce ingredients together, then poured the mixture over the noodles to keep them from breaking or getting mushy. It worked like a charm!

Easy Vegan Pad Thai 

1 lb Asian-style rice noodles (use rice noodles for a gluten-free option)
1/4 C soy sauce
1/2 C lime juice (I will use 1/3 C next time)
2 T peanut butter
2 T hot sauce (I used Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce)
1/4 C sugar (I used agave)
1 block tofu, diced (I used broiled tofu)
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T sesame oil* (see note below on how to make this E2-friendly)
1/2 C bean sprouts
1/4 C chopped or crushed peanuts (optional)
4 green onions (scallions), sliced
¼ C chopped cilantro

Cook noodles according to package instructions. Whisk together the soy sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, hot sauce and sugar (agave). In a large wok or skillet, sauté the tofu, onion and garlic in sesame oil for a minute or two, stirring frequently. Allow to cook for another minute or two. Add the peanut butter and soy sauce mixture. Stir well, and allow sauce to thicken as it cooks for about 3 minutes. Pour over noodles and gently mix until well combined. Top with peanuts, bean sprouts, green onions and cilantro and serve hot.

* - To make this recipe E2-friendly, substitute 2T vegetable stock for the sesame oil and keep extra on hand to splash into the pan if it gets dry

Adapted from recipe by Jolinda Hackett found on vegetarian.about.com

No comments:

Post a Comment