Have a great day - eat something healthy.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Curry Tofu Salad


I'm a writer, not a photographer -
trust me, this dish is really good!

Holy cow, is this recipe ever good! I love the curry tofu salad at Whole Foods but I wanted to be able to make it at home to monitor the sugar and sodium contents and play around with flavors and ingredients. I stumbled across this recipe at a Holy Orthodox priest's website (don't ask me how I got there) and only had to modify one ingredient to make this dish entirely cleanse-friendly – I swapped out the soy sauce and substituted Bragg's Liquid Aminos to make the dish gluten-free. Thankfully, that's one of those switches that you’d never notice if you didn't know about it. 

Savory, sweet, chewy and crunchy, this recipe definitely gets two yums up!!!

 
Curry Tofu Salad

2 packages tofu, extra firm, diced
4 T olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 t ginger powder
1 T curry powder
1/2 T soy sauce (substitute Bragg's Liquid Aminos to be gluten-free)
1 T agave nectar
1/4 t salt
1/2 C vegan mayonnaise
1 T lime juice, fresh
1 bunch green onions
1/2 C raisins
1 package slivered almonds

In a large saucepan over med to med-high heat, saute tofu until browned and firmed. Set aside to cool, draining on a paper towel. Saute bell peppers for 5 minutes.

In a separate bowl, add curry powder, ginger, soy sauce, agave nectar and salt to vegan mayonnaise.

Mix everything in a bowl, and add raisins, shaved almonds, green onions, and lime juice at end*. Stir.

* - In my haste to make this dish, I inadvertently added the lime juice to the mayo mixture - it didn't seem to make a difference.

From andreasblom.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment