Have a great day - eat something healthy.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Curried Lentils

I just made this recipe for the first time and it was quick, easy and super tasty! This is another dish Mark and I will keep on the short list of go-to recipes. Just note that while prep time is short (think 10 minutes, max), the cooking time might go longer than the recipe calls for – I cooked my batch of lentils for an extra 25 minutes to get them to the consistency I like. But even so, if you can make this one ahead of time, just reheat it, make some basmati or brown rice, and toss up a leafy green salad. It’s a quick, healthy dinner in just a few minutes!

Curried Lentils

1 C brown or green lentils (I used brown)
2-3 T grapeseed or olive oil (I used 2T olive)
1 onion, chopped (I used a sweet yellow onion)
1 T chopped fresh ginger or 1 t powdered ginger (I used powdered)
1 or 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced (I used 2)
2 T chopped parsley or cilantro (I used cilantro)
1 T curry powder (I used ½ T hot curry powder and ½ T sweet curry powder)
2 C water or vegetable broth (I used vegetable broth)
1 t salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Pick over the lentils, removing any stones or debris. Rinse the lentils under cold running water, place in a colander, drain and set aside.

Heat the oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring well. Reduce the heat and stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and the parsley or cilantro. Sauté the vegetables for 3 or 4 minutes or until soft, stirring often (I let them cook for about 8 or 9 minutes to get the carrots nice and soft).

Add the curry powder and cook 1 minute or so longer, still stirring. Raise the heat a bit and stir in the water or vegetable broth, the salt, black pepper and the lentils. Bring the pot to a boil and then quickly reduce the heat to low.

Cover the pot and cook the lentils over low heat for about 25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but not mushy, stirring a couple of times (be sure to just check them regularly - it took my batch about 45 minutes to get to a nice firm/soft consistency). Serve the lentils over cooked rice, couscous or macaroni.

Nutrition Per Serving: Calories – 243; Carbohydrates – 33g; Protein – 13g; Fat – 8g; Saturated fat – 1g; Cholesterol – 0mg; Sodium – 610mg; Calcium – 50mg; Dietary Fiber – 9g

From the Minneapolis StarTribune – Startribune.com

No comments:

Post a Comment